120th Anniversary of Foundation at Sandy Point, Newfoundland

In 1842 the first convent of the Sisters of Mercy in North America was established in St. John’s, Newfoundland. Two of the three sisters, Ursula Frayne and Rose Lynch, who came from the Motherhouse in Dublin returned to Ireland leaving Sister Mary Francis Creedon to carry on the mission. Within the next few years women from Newfoundland and Ireland joined Sister Francis and were professed as Sisters of Mercy. Other convents were opened in St. John’s and new foundations were established in Petty harbour, Burin, St. Lawrence, Brigus, Conception Harbour, in the easterly part of the island. The following is a brief account of the founding of a Mercy Convent on the west coast of Newfoundland. The text below is an excerpt from a booklet authored by Sister Charlotte Fitzpatrick. (Editor)

Western Newfoundland was attached to the St. John’s diocese until 1870, when it was constituted a Prefecture Apostolic and Father Thomas Sears was named Prefect Apostolic.  As early as 1873 in a report to the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, Father Sears expressed his dream of having a community of nuns to educate the young women of his parish”, which then comprised most of the west coast. He wrote: Could we afford to establish a good seminary of Instruction for females as the first beginning we would gain much. A convent of five or six well-educated nuns would be of the greatest importance. Father Sears’ dream would come to fruition some twenty years later in a marvellous chain of events that could only be seen as the providence of God at work.  It was Father Sears’ successor and friend, Reverend Michael Francis Howley, who would bring acommunity of nuns to Newfoundland’s west coast.

Meanwhile, in another part of the world, events were unfolding that would give life to a long-held dream and change the lives of many in the process.  On a riverboat in Massachusetts, sometime in the mid 1880s, a wealthy and well-travelled American woman, Mrs. Henrietta Brownell, met Sister M. Juliana Purcell, a Sister of Mercy from  Xavier’s Convent in Providence, Rhode Island. Sometime later, the chance finding of a medal of the Virgin Mary by Mrs. Brownell led her to St. Xavier’s, a circumstance that forged relationships which would profoundly affect the lives of all concerned.  A lasting friendship developed between Mrs. Brownell and Sister Juliana, and indeed the whole St. Xavier’s community welcomed Mrs. Brownell as friend and benefactor.

Henrietta Knowlton Brownell was born in Bristol, Rhode Island in 1837. Her first husband, George A. Pierce, died sometime in the early 1860s. When the Sisters of Mercy met Henrietta, she was the wife of Charles De Wolf Brownell, a lawyer and a renowned landscape artist.  From her first marriage, she had two children, a boy and a girl, and the Brownells had four sons. The family travelled extensively, with Mr. Brownell devoting himself to painting his landscapes. Henrietta was a very talented lady, a writer and an accomplished musician with a proficiency in piano and violin. In gratitude to the sisters at St. Xavier’s for their kindness to her, she offered to teach violin to any of them who desired to learn, and with the permission of the local superior, a number of the sisters took lessons. This brought Mrs. Brownell into frequent contact with the sisters, and over time she developed a close relationship with another community member of St. Xavier’s, Sister Mary Antonio Egan.

After Mrs. Brownell converted to Catholicism in the late 1880s, she made the decision to use some of her wealth to finance the establishment of a convent in a missionary country. She discussed her plans with Sisters Juliana and Antonio, who shared her enthusiasm for such a worthy venture. When Sister Juliana died in 1888, Sister M. Antonio became her main confidante and advisor.

Early Life of the Founder

Sister Mary Antonio, born Elizabeth Egan in England on May 12, 1852, came with her father, brothers and sister to the United States at an early age to live with an aunt. She attended St. Xavier’s Convent School, a private school begun by the Sisters of Mercy in Providence in 1856. She entered the community at St. Xavier’s in May, 1868 and was professed on January 1, 1871. In The Leaves of the Annals of the Sisters of Mercy we read that she was one of the sisters who devotedly nursed a pioneer sister in Providence in her last illness.  This reference, brief though it is, indicates the spirit of mercy and compassion that characterized Sister Antonio throughout her life and ministry.

Sister Corsini Dempsey, another member of St. Xavier’s community, had lived in St. John’s as a child, and through continued contacts with her Newfoundland friends, became aware of the educational and spiritual needs of the people on the west coast of Newfoundland. Aware too of Mrs. Brownell’s desire, she approached her in late 1892 and asked her to consider financing a convent of the Sisters of Mercy in the missionary territory of western Newfoundland. Having received a positive response from Mrs. Brownell as well as the permission of her religious superiors, Sister M. Corsini wrote Bishop Howley on November 17, 1892, setting forth her proposal for establishing a convent of the Sisters of Mercy in his area. Normally foundations of the Sisters of Mercy are initiated by requests from bishops to the leaders of the congregation. This situation was unusual in that the initiative came from individual sisters and a lay woman. Even so, the Newfoundland foundation from Providence did have the permission and approval of its religious superiors, both diocesan and congregational.

When Bishop Howley received Sister M. Corsini’s letter with its very welcome news of a possibility of a community of nuns for his mission, he immediately made plans to travel to the United States. He met with Mrs. Brownell on January 31, 1893 and the next day with Bishop Matthew Harkins of the Providence Diocese and with the four sisters who had volunteered for the mission – Sister Mary Antonio Egan, Sister Mary Corsini Dempsey, Sister Mary Veronica Payne and Sister Mary Sylvester Carver.  On February 4, Bishop Howley, Mrs. Brownell, Sister Antonio and Sister Corsini met at Boston College to sign the papers of Agreement regarding the new foundation at Sandy Point. Bishop Howley’s Diary notes that at this time Mrs. Brownell turned over to him the amount of $11,858.44 in Bonds and Bank Deposits.  When his business was completed, the bishop returned to Newfoundland, and it was Sister Antonio who continued the work associated with founding a new mission. She was well able for the task.

On July 15, 1893 each of the four sisters signed a form, stating that she had, at her own request, been canonically dispensed from obedience to the Bishop of Providence and to the Superior of the Sisters of Mercy of Providence in order to form a new community, being established by Bishop Howley in Western Newfoundland. At the same time each sister renounced any right to return to the Diocese of Providence or to any religious congregation within that diocese.  This was essentially the last of the legalities to be negotiated, and, with that completed, all was ready for the new venture.

Hurrah for Foundations!

On July 13, 1893 Bishop Howley left Newfoundland for Rhode Island to escort the pioneer band to Sandy Point. On the 18thof that month, he, along with the four sisters and Mrs. Brownell, boarded the Olivette for Halifax.  Since Sister Sylvester Carver was a Haligonian who had entered the Sisters of Mercy in Providence in 1880, we can perhaps assume that she visited family during their six-day stopover in Halifax. Sailing from there aboard the SS Harlow, the missionary group arrived at Sandy Point on Friday, July 28. The dream that Father Thomas Sears had articulated in his report of 1873 had finally taken shape, and the new mission of the Sisters of Mercy in Sandy Point was about to begin.

The EveningTelegram of August 12, 1893 records with great detail and colour the arrival of the first Sisters of Mercy toNewfoundland’s west coast. At Sandy Point the missionaries received an enthusiastic welcome, replete with evergreen arches, wreaths, flags, processions and salvos of gunfire.  Magistrate M.E.Dwyer, Esq., J.P. gave an address of welcome on behalf of the lay people and Father P.W.Brown spoke on behalf of the clergy. The people themselves …… displayed the most unbounded enthusiasm and interest in the arrival of the nuns and flocked around them in their own simple ways as the harbingers of great future blessings to this place.  The paper further stated that the nuns would take charge of the public school immediately after the summer vacation, and that there were plans to open a branch for higher education in the near future.

(This article is an excerpt from a booklet written by Charlotte Fitzpatrick, Woman of Providence: The Life of Sister Mary Antonio Egan, rsm, Founder of the first Convent of Mercy on the West Coast of Newfoundland, printed in St. John’s,NL in June 2011.  Copies of the booklet may be obtained by contacting: mercygeneralate@sistersofmercynf.org

En 1842 se estableció en St. John’s, Terranova, el primer convento de las Hermanas de la Misericordia en Norteamérica. Dos de las tres hermanas, Ursula Frayne y Rose Lynch, procedentes de la Casa Madre de Dublín, regresaron a Irlanda, dejando a la hermana Mary Francis Creedon al frente de la misión. En los años siguientes, mujeres de Terranova e Irlanda se unieron a Sor Francis y profesaron como Hermanas de la Misericordia. Se abrieron otros conventos en San Juan y se establecieron nuevas fundaciones en Petty harbour, Burin, San Lorenzo, Brigus, Conception Harbour, en la parte oriental de la isla. Lo que sigue es un breve relato de la fundación de un convento de la Misericordia en la costa oeste de Terranova. El texto que sigue es un extracto de un folleto escrito por la Hermana Charlotte Fitzpatrick. (Editor)

Terranova Occidental estuvo adscrita a la diócesis de San Juan hasta 1870, cuando se constituyó en Prefectura Apostólica y el padre Thomas Sears fue nombrado Prefecto Apostólico. Ya en 1873, en un informe a la Sociedad para la Propagación de la Fe, el padre Sears expresaba su sueño de tener una comunidad de monjas para educar a las jóvenes de su parroquia”, que entonces comprendía la mayor parte de la costa oeste. Escribió: Si pudiéramos permitirnos establecer un buen seminario de Instrucción para mujeres como primer comienzo, ganaríamos mucho. Un convento de cinco o seis monjas bien educadas sería de la mayor importancia. El sueño del padre Sears se haría realidad unos veinte años más tarde, en una maravillosa cadena de acontecimientos que sólo podía verse como la providencia de Dios en acción. Fue el sucesor y amigo del padre Sears, el reverendo Michael Francis Howley, quien llevaría una comunidad de monjas a la costa oeste de Terranova.

Mientras tanto, en otra parte del mundo, se desarrollaban acontecimientos que darían vida a un sueño largamente acariciado y cambiarían las vidas de muchos en el proceso. A mediados de la década de 1880, en un barco fluvial en Massachusetts, una mujer estadounidense rica y viajada, Henrietta Brownell, conoció a la Hermana M. Juliana Purcell, una Hermana de la Misericordia del Convento de Xavier en Providence, Rhode Island. Tiempo después, el hallazgo casual de una medalla de la Virgen María por parte de la Sra. Brownell la condujo a San Javier, circunstancia que forjó unas relaciones que afectarían profundamente a las vidas de todos los implicados. Entre la Sra. Brownell y la Hermana Juliana surgió una amistad duradera y, de hecho, toda la comunidad de San Javier acogió a la Sra. Brownell como amiga y benefactora.

Henrietta Knowlton Brownell nació en Bristol, Rhode Island, en 1837. Su primer marido, George A. Pierce, murió a principios de la década de 1860. Cuando las Hermanas de la Misericordia conocieron a Henrietta, ella era la esposa de Charles De Wolf Brownell, abogado y renombrado paisajista. De su primer matrimonio tuvo dos hijos, un niño y una niña, y los Brownell tuvieron cuatro hijos. La familia viajaba mucho, y el Sr. Brownell se dedicaba a pintar sus paisajes.

Henrietta era una dama de gran talento, escritora y música consumada, con dominio del piano y el violín. En agradecimiento a las hermanas de San Javier por su amabilidad con ella, se ofreció a enseñar violín a cualquiera de ellas que quisiera aprender, y con el permiso de la superiora local, varias de las hermanas tomaron clases. Esto hizo que la señora Brownell entrara en contacto frecuente con las hermanas, y con el tiempo entabló una estrecha relación con otro miembro de la comunidad de San Javier, la hermana Mary Antonio Egan.

Después de que la señora Brownell se convirtiera al catolicismo a finales de la década de 1880, tomó la decisión de utilizar parte de su fortuna para financiar el establecimiento de un convento en un país misionero. Habló de sus planes con las hermanas Juliana y Antonio, que compartían su entusiasmo por tan noble empresa. Cuando la hermana Juliana murió en 1888, la hermana M. Antonio se convirtió en su principal confidente y consejera.

¡Viva las fundaciones!

El 13 de julio de 1893, el obispo Howley partió de Terranova hacia Rhode Island para escoltar a la banda de pioneros hasta Sandy Point. El 18 de ese mes, junto con las cuatro hermanas y la Sra. Brownell, embarcó en el Olivette rumbo a Halifax. Dado que la hermana Sylvester Carver era una haligoniana que había ingresado en las Hermanas de la Misericordia en Providence en 1880, podemos suponer que visitó a su familia durante su escala de seis días en Halifax. Zarpando de allí a bordo del SS Harlow, el grupo misionero llegó a Sandy Point el viernes 28 de julio. El sueño que el Padre Thomas Sears había expresado en su informe de 1873 finalmente había tomado forma, y la nueva misión de las Hermanas de la Misericordia en Sandy Point estaba a punto de comenzar.

El EveningTelegram del 12 de agosto de 1893 registra con gran detalle y colorido la llegada de las primeras Hermanas de la Misericordia a la costa oeste de Terranova. En Sandy Point, las misioneras recibieron una entusiasta bienvenida, repleta de arcos siempre verdes, coronas, banderas, procesiones y salvas de disparos. El Magistrado M.E.Dwyer, Esq., J.P. pronunció un discurso de bienvenida en nombre de los laicos y el Padre P.W.Brown habló en nombre del clero. La gente misma …… mostró el entusiasmo y el interés más ilimitados por la llegada de las monjas y se agolpó en torno a ellas a su manera sencilla como precursoras de grandes bendiciones futuras para este lugar. El periódico decía además que las monjas se harían cargo de la escuela pública inmediatamente después de las vacaciones de verano, y que había planes para abrir una rama de educación superior en un futuro próximo.

(Este artículo es un extracto del folleto escrito por Charlotte Fitzpatrick, Woman of Providence: The Life of Sister Mary Antonio Egan, rsm, Founder of the first Convent of Mercy on the West Coast of Newfoundland, impreso en St. John’s,NL en junio de 2011. Pueden obtenerse ejemplares del folleto dirigiéndose a: mercygeneralate@sistersofmercynf.org)

Celebration of 138 Years of Mercy 1871 – 2009

The weekend of October 20, 2012 was filled with events to celebrate 138 years of presence of the Sisters of Mercy in the communities on the southerly part of the Burin Peninsula – St. Lawrence, Little St. Lawrence, Lawn and surrounding area.

Sisters from St. John’s and other parts of the province left very early in the morning when traffic was light and the moose had not yet ventured out from their night haunts. The sun shone its mightiest, the sky was cloudless, and the environment was ecologically correct. When we drove off the Trans-Canada and travelled down the Peninsula highway. The splendor of the gold, yellows, browns and reds of the autumn leaves was absolutely breathtaking.

We proceeded to the Golden Age Club in St. Lawrence upon our arrival. The rails on either side of the ramp going into the building were festooned with blue and gold balloons and a large WELCOME poster. A white-apronned lady was at the door ringing an old school bell to welcome us in! The greetings were in profusion as many of the ladies there had been our students.

There was a hearty lunch awaiting us; pea soup, turkey soup, fish chowder (Fr. Critch’s own concoction), all kinds of sandwiches, cookies and sweets, and real hot tea and coffee, very welcoming to us who had just made the 4-4 ½ hour drive. There were 20 Sisters of Mercy present.

After lunch we were free to visit the Miner’s Museum, the famous sculpture on the town hall grounds; the famous St. Lawrence soccer team was playing a game just a few hundred yards from the Golden Age Club. This was free time when we could visit the school, the church, the walking trails and other places familiar to those of us who lived in this community.

The next formal event was a Memorial Service in the Sisters’ Cemetery not far from the church. There are six Sisters buried there: Sisters M. Tarahan, Burfitt, Jordan, Turpin, McLaughlin and Kelly. After the brief but very moving service we proceeded to the Parish Hall for the evening meal and entertainment.

We were assigned specific tables of eight, at least one or two Sisters at each table, with parishioners from the areas joining us. There was a large photographic display on one wall of the dining area, very tastefully done and depicting Sisters of Mercy past and recent past as well as various aspects of the life of the parishioners and residents of the area. At the tables the place mats were original drawings by the elementary school children, each one brightly coloured with an environmental theme and “Thank You” for God’s creation. There were linen serviettes at each place, a beautiful yellow rose, as well as a seedling of a balsam fir. With the seedling was a card with the reflection of Archbishop Oscar Romero asking us to reflect that “we plant seeds that one day will grow. We water seeds already planted, knowing that they hold future promise….We are prophets of a future not our own.” This was appropriate in view of the fact that Kateri Tekatwitha is being canonized in Rome this same weekend and she is the patron saint of the environment.

We each received a bookmark with Catherine’s picture and the Suscipe on one side, and photos of the old convent and church on the other. These photos were also on the front of the 4-page booklet which listed the menu and events of the evening.

Leo Etchegary, on behalf of the Parish Council welcomed us all and asked Father Critch, Parish Priest, to say the Grace before the meal. Heather Clarke, accompanied by Fr. Critch on the guitar, sang beautifully “I am the Vine”. The buffet dinner consisted of garden salad, baked salmon, harvest pork tenderloin, Moroccan chicken, seafood pasta, baby potatoes, buttered carrots, and a multitude of desserts, tea and coffee. We could not want for more!

Following the meal the Sisters were officially welcomed, first by Thelma Roul, of the St. Thomas Aquinas Parish Council, Mayor Wade Rowsell of St. Lawrence, and Mayor William Lockyer of Lawn. Father Critch introduced Sr. Elizabeth Davis, Congregational Leader, who then gave a beautiful address. Mary Tarrant-Hodge, co-chair of the organizing Committee gave an expression of thanks to all the Sisters of Mercy who had ministered here and who had been such an influence in her own life.

We were entertained heartily and musically by choirs from St. Lawrence and Lawn. One group of women, guitar players from Lawn, first expressed their gratitude to Sr. Rosemary Ryan who had taught them to play the guitar in Grade Six. Not only did they continue after she had left Lawn but they also taught others to play so that the legacy lives on. We heard lovely renditions of Music and Friends, Down on the Mira, Go Lassie, Go, Salt Water Joys, and many more sung with so much enthusiasm and passion. The evening ended with more mingling, chatting, getting-reacquainted, and conversations.

Sunday morning at the Oceanview Hotel we were treated to a complimentary pick-up breakfast with all types of breads, jams, bagels, muffins, hot and cold cereals. Then we proceeded to St. Thomas Aquinas Church for the Liturgy. Sisters Marcella and Gladys, and Brenda Mooney had attended the first Midnight Mass at the newly built church in 1966 or 1967. We are not too sure of the exact date but we did remember how cold it was because the heating system had not been installed yet.

Today the Church presents a panorama of famous paintings on the back wall where there had once been stained glass windows. These paintings represent different aspects of the life of Jesus beginning with the Annunciation and ending with the Ascension. It is a spectacular sight. On the wall below is a large painting of Christ reaching out his hand to pull Peter out of the water. It is dedicated to the people who lost their lives at sea particularly those on the SS Truxton and Pollux in 1942. There was another painting parallel to this one, but it was covered and it was only later that we found out what it was about.

The combined choirs of St. Lawrence and Lawn provided the beautiful music. As well, the children’s choir of St. Lawrence sang at the Offertory and the one of Lawn sang “The Prayer of St. Francis” at the Communion. At the Offertory little children brought up two vases of red roses to the altar, and some more seedlings for planting.

The homily was given by Sr. Elizabeth, Congregational Leader.  Noting the famous paintings at the back of the church, she spoke of the artist Seiger Koder whose paintings are usually about Scripture events but do not directly show Jesus, or God intervening. Instead we catch glimpses of the Divine in his paintings in a bowl of water, or in a well. Koder uses these, Elizabeth said, to show that we ourselves are to image Christ in our lives. This was so evident in the support and love that the people of St. Lawrence have given to the Sisters.

At the end of the Mass a big red rose from the vases at the altar was given to each of the Sisters. Then Sr. Lucia, Charlotte, and Elizabeth accompanied by the other Sisters were asked to go to the back of the church. Here the covered painting was unveiled! It shows Christ, surrounded by poor and lame and disadvantaged and it was dedicated to the Sisters of Mercy! A small picture of Catherine is below the inscription along with the Suscipe! It was a wonderful tribute to our 138 years of Mercy in St. Lawrence and area. As a response all the Sisters present sang the Suscipe of Catherine McAuley.

We mingled with the people at the end of the Liturgy, had more photos taken, then we were ushered back to the Parish Hall for a lunch before we left for our various homes. We departed with joyful hearts, deep and sincere gratitude, and knowledge that the legacy of the Sisters of Mercy on that part of the Burin Peninsula is very much alive.

Messages to gbozec@sistersofmercynf.org

Preparing for Rio+ 20 in Newfoundland

The Sisters of Mercy of Newfoundland have been busy in preparation for the Rio + 20 meetings.  They were one of the Religious Congregations who influenced the Roman Catholic Leaders of Newfoundland and Labrador to produce a brochure giving information on the Rio Conference. 

The Roman Catholic leaders meet twice a year to discuss various issues in their leadership. At the last meeting they decided to send a brochure to all of the parishes of this province of Canada giving information on Rio +20. This message “A Message from The Roman Catholic Bishops of Newfoundland and Labrador and the Leaders of Religious Congregations: Christian Brothers Community, Jesuit Community, Presentation Sisters, Redemptorist Community and Sisters of Mercy” is attached. 

The Director of the Mercy Centre for Ecology and Justice in St Johns, Newfoundland sent the statement prepared through Mercy Global Action Network asking government representatives to advance an ethical and equitable global vision at Rio + 20 and sent also a letter to federal and provincial government party leaders,  seven federal elected representatives for Newfoundland and Labrador as well as to several other members of the provincial government one of whom has promised to present the statement and letter to the Conservative Caucus meeting .

On World Water Day the Sisters of Mercy as well as the Presentation Sisters sent letters to the Canadian Ambassador to the UN expressing grave concern about the position Canada was taking against water as a human right.

At various conferences including the Canadian Religious Conference and the Catholic Health Alliance of Canada,  Sisters of Mercy raised issues that needed to be supported by the Canadian government at Rio + 20.

Messages to: Sheila O’Dea rsm

 

Newfoundland Foundation June 3, 1842

On June 3, 1842 a sailing schooner, the Sir Walter Scott, entered the harbour of St. John’s, Newfoundland.  On the wharf were Bishop Michael Anthony Fleming  and many townspeople excited to welcome three Sisters of Mercy who were to establish the first foundation of the Mercy Order in the “new world.”  The three women from Baggot Street had left Kingstown Harbour on May 2 for the difficult and dangerous crossing of the north Atlantic.  Who were these three courageous Sisters of Mercy?  They were Sisters Ursula Frayne, Rose Lynch and Francis Creedon.

This is part of the story of that foundation and of Sister Francis Creedon who is upheld by the Newfoundland Sisters of Mercy of Newfoundland as founder. 

This year 2011 marks the 200th anniversary of Marianne Creedon’s birth in Coolowen, County Cork.  Sr. Charlotte Fitzpatrick has provided us with this reflection on Francis Creedon in honour of this anniversary. (June 2011)

 

Reflection on Sister Mary Francis Creedon

Foundress of the Sisters of Mercy of Newfoundland, on the 200th anniversary of her birth

Two hundred years ago this year in County Cork, Ireland, Marianne Creedon, known to us as Sister Francis Creedon, was born. We know little about Marianne’s early life, but we do know that her adult life was one of service and unwavering fidelity in the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

Marianne’s call to Mercy came through a circuitous route. She left her native Ireland just a couple of years after the foundation of the Sisters of Mercy, and it is likely that she was not even aware of this event that was to impact her life so significantly. Arriving in St. John’s with her sister’s family, the Nugents, in 1833, she dedicated herself to caring for the four Nugent children and helped support the family by teaching music. Her own experience of life in St. John’s and her conversations with Bishop Fleming, a long-time friend of the Nugent family, opened her eyes to the deep gaps in Catholic education and to the sad plight of the sick poor in her adopted homeland.

The bishop was determined to find a community of nuns who would be able to respond to these very urgent needs of his people. Hearing of the great work being done by the newly-established Order of Mercy in Ireland and learning that they were not bound by the customary law of enclosure, he saw these sisters as ideally suited to his plans. He undoubtedly shared his hopes and his excitement with Marianne, who must have been moved by the bishop’s zeal as well as by what she saw around her.

While we do not know the details or the sequence of what happened next, we know that Bishop Fleming met with Catherine McAuley, shared his dream with her and received a favourable response from her. We also know that Marianne Creedon, attentive to God’s ways in her life, expressed her desire and availability for this mission to the people of Newfoundland.

In 1839 Marianne left for Dublin to make her novitiate with Catherine McAuley, with the express purpose of establishing the Order of Mercy in Newfoundland. Professed in 1841, she was ready for her mission, but the foundation plans were delayed because of Catherine’s death in November of that year. This delay must have been a disappointment for the newly-professed Sister Mary Francis, but she remained steadfast and continued ministry at Baggot Street until May of 1842.

What sort of woman was Sister Mary Francis Creedon? Sisters who lived with her at Baggot Street spoke of her as an exemplary religious, loved and revered by all who knew her. They described her as sensitive and cultured, zealous and thoroughly unselfish. One sister referred to her “large-hearted friendship which was a blessing and support to those who enjoyed it.” Another related that she was always happy to be appointed to visit the sick and perform other duties with Sister Mary Francis. From these recollections of her peers, preserved for us in Volume 111 of the Leaves of the Annals of the Sisters of Mercy, we get a glimpse of a very human, faith-filled, unassuming woman, gifted with the qualities of personality and spirit that enabled her to forge the beginnings of Mercy life and ministry in Newfoundland.
 
However, it was her thirteen years as a Sister of Mercy in nineteenth-century St. John’s that tell us so much more about this steadfast woman, whom we are privileged to call our Newfoundland founder. Of the three pioneer sisters who arrived in St. John’s on June 3, 1842, only Sister M. Francis would have known what she was coming to. Although she would have the joy of being reunited with her family and friends, she also knew firsthand some of the difficulties the new community would have to face – the isolation and loneliness ; the rigors of the Newfoundland climate; the flimsy, crowded tenements they would visit regularly; the poverty and disease that would daily surround them. But not even she could have forseen some of the tensions, obstacles and sufferings that would be part of this new venture and that would test the very foundations of her call and the mission of Mercy, to which she had committed her life. Among these were:
 

The pain of being caught in the middle between Bishop Fleming, her friend and Sister Ursula Frayne, the named superior of her community

 The conflict in community surrounding the acceptance of Sister Joseph Nugent, her brother-in-law’s sister

The return to Ireland of Sisters Ursula and Rose just six months after their first school opened

The unwillingness of the Baggot Street sisters to send help to the fledgling foundation

The devastation of the Great Fire of 1846

  The typhus epidemic of 1847 and the constant call of the sick for help and consolation

  The death of Sister Joseph Nugent in June 1847, leaving her to carry on alone

The loneliness, isolation and concerns of the following year when she kept school open, taught music and visited the sick

The death of her friend and mentor, Bishop Fleming in 1850

The cholera epidemic of 1854 which left many children orphaned, and which led to the establishment of the Immaculate Conception Orphanage at Mercy Convent

Her “wearing out” at the age of 43 years

 

In the midst of all this seeming turmoil and suffering, what made Sister Francis stay? She was urged by many of her friends to give up the mission. Mother Agnes O’Connor, her friend from novitiate days, invited her to join her in New York. Yet she stayed …

What soul-searching went on in her?
How did she perceive God’s action in all of this pain and uncertainty?
What sustained her at these times?

What helps you to remain faithful when all seems confusing, uncertain, hopeless …?

Sister M. Francis Creedon was undoubtedly a woman of profound faith, of indomitable courage and determination, a woman who trusted in the God Who had called her, a woman convinced of the action of God in her life and in the mission entrusted to her. She likely had her doubts, fears, questions, her times of wondering what God was doing, but the urgency of the mission impelled her, keeping her available, pliable, compassionate and hopeful in situations where hope seemed frail, sometimes even futile. In some of those dark times, she likely would have called to mind some of Catherine’s teachings while she was a novice at Baggot Street, taking comfort in their message.
 
Had Catherine not said that new foundations would not be without the cross, that the congregation was founded on Calvary to serve a crucified Redeemer?
Had Catherine not spoken often and passionately about the comfort of God’s providential care, of the joy of a life centered in God, of the necessity of placing one’s trust in God alone?
In her times of solitude, memories such as these must have surfaced in Sister Francis, bringing her hope and consolation, strengthening her for the incredible journey of faith she was living. Many times as she prayed at Mercy Convent, she must have fingered her beads, reliving the joyful, sorrowful and glorious mysteries of her own life, thanking God for the gift of her call to Mercy, believing that all was in God’s hands, and that the fruit of her labours would come in God’s own time. Her call, her life, her ministry of Mercy is a gift to us, a treasure to be claimed and cherished as we remember and celebrate her on June 3 this year.
 
As you reflect on Francis’ life, what stands out for you?
What gift is she giving you today?
What gift of Mercy will you pass on to others?
 
 
 
The Roads of Mercy
(Mary Wickham, RSM)
 
The roads of Mercy are long and deep,
wondrous wise and never-ending.
The roads of Mercy are questing tracks of the Spirit;
they are avenues of goodness;
they are pot-holed with need
and lined with compassion.
The roads of Mercy are the walkways of humanity,
ancient and ever new.
 
 
                                                                                                                      

History of St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital: The Mustard Seed

 

June 28, 2010 marked the launch of The Mustard Seed, the story of St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital written by Sister Kathrine Bellamy, rsm.  In her book Sister Kathrine set the story of St. Clare’s within the larger story of the Sisters of Mercy, the founding of the Congregation in Ireland in 1831, the foundation of the Newfoundland mission in 1842, the founding moment of the hospital in 1922 and the service and commitment of so many sisters and staff over the past 88 years.
 
Close to 150 people-Sisters of Mercy, the Bellamy family, friends, employees, volunteers and retirees-assembled to celebrate the event. Gary Cranford, publisher of Flanker Press, brought greetings to those gathered and spoke of how pleased he was to publish a second book by Sister Kathrine, referring to her previous book, Weavers of the Tapestry (2007).
 
Sister Elizabeth Davis, Congregational Leader of the Sisters of Mercy, brought greetings on behalf of the Sisters, noting that it was an evening to celebrate an author, a book, a ministry and a place of healing.   In her remarks, Sister Elizabeth paid tribute to Sister Kathrine as a woman of Mercy, noting that her legacy to our province and to our Church is a rich and deep one, citing especially her giftedness as a musician, her leadership within the community at large and within our Congregation. as a social activist, and as a historian.   Referring to The Mustard Seed, Sister Elizabeth noted that it is a rich history of St. Clare’s and our city’s health care system.  She described it is a significant accounting of a ministry which we have held precious from the first years of our coming to Newfoundland to this day – the healing ministry. Sister Elizabeth concluded by saying that we celebrate a place of healing, St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital,  and the women and men who have carried out their work over the past eighty-eight years, the many professions and disciplines and support positions which have been and remain the heart and spirit of this place of healing.
 
A number of Sister Kathrine’s family members were present including her nephew, Reverend William Bellamy. Fifteen members of Mercy School Choir alumnae, accompanied by Brenda (Molloy) Mooney and directed by Marilyn (Burke) Murphy added their voices to the celebration.   The musical pieces were chosen to be part of the event in tribute to Sister Kathrine who taught these pieces to her choir and who passed on to them a great love of music and song.   One of the pieces that they sang, Salve Regina, was composed by Sister Kathrine. They were thrilled to have been invited to honor Sister Kathrine and the publication of her book.
 
A collage of photos from the launch of Sister Kathrine’s  Weavers of the Tapestry had been prepared by Marilyn (Mulrooney) Cameron and her daughter, Laura and was displayed during the launch.
 
Following the official launch, a reception for the guests was provided by Flanker Press. It provided an opportunity for friends and acquaintances to converse with each other, to share memories, to tell stories, and to purchase copies of The Mustard Seed
 
 
On a sad note:
Sister Kathrine died before the publication of her book, but it was fortunate that she had already passed her manuscript to the publishing company.   She had already chosen its title, taking it from the address of Archbishop Roche during the Opening of St. Clare’s Liturgy on May 21, 1922. He stated that the Sisters of Mercy are “planting a tiny grain of mustard seed, which we hope will grow into an immense tree, throwing its healing branches over different sections of the country.”
 

Celebration of World Day of the Sick

February 11, feast of Our Lady of Lourdes, is aworld day of prayer for the sick and those who care for them. Today Archbishop Martin Currie, Archbishop of St. John’s, presided at a celebration of the

Eucharist in the Basilica of St. John the Baptist in St. John’s. The priests, religious and lay people who share in the church’s ministry to the sick in hospitals, nursing homes, or at home were invited.   Over a hundred people, Priest Chaplains, Sisters of Mercy and Presentation, and other pastoral care workers participated in the celebration. The

Archbishop commended and thanked them for their ministry and asked God’s special blessing for them. Prayers were offered for those who are sick and suffering. Following Mass a lunch was served in the historic Episcopal library/museum.

The Day They Came to Town

Continental Flight 0067 en route London, England to Cleveland, Ohio, USA

September 11, 2001 St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada
Mid-morning of September 11, 2001 the world was startled by the crash of two jets into the World Trades Center, New York, attacks against the pentagon in Washington and the crash of a fourth plane in Pennsylvania. All air traffic in the United States was brought to a halt; air traffic in Canada was also stopped except to receive hundreds of jets from Europe en route to North America.
More than 17,000 passengers and airline staff landed at the five Newfoundland airports. St. John’s airport reached maximum capacity when 27 commercial planes, carrying approximately 4300 passengers and crew, landed.  The province implemented its EMO plan. Through many hours passengers and crew were taken to Mile One stadium where they were “processed”. They were welcomed by hundreds of volunteers from hundreds of church, community, public service organizations and individuals. Their every need from a hot bowl of soup, water, medical, communication (telephone), rest and more were met. Sleeping accommodation for such large numbers was a feat yet to be met. Space was made available in hotels, school gyms, church halls and private homes. Preference was towards keeping larger groups together rather than have the “plane people” scattered all over town. No one knew when the planes might be able to take off again.
In the early evening we watched the terrible events of the tragedy unfold before us on the television news. We heard the plea from EMO for accommodation for the “Plane People”.   Just across from our living room window sat the Littledale Conference Center – empty. Over the years it had housed hundreds of student teachers, nursing students and countless men and women who participated in conferences and meetings of many kinds. Since June, 2001 the Center was closed and much of the furnishings including bedroom and kitchen furnishing had been disposed of. We were living in hope that the complex might soon be sold and abtain a new life with a new owner!
After a brief consultation with Mrs. Buckingham, the Manager of the Littledale conference Centre, we decided that we could accommodate forty people. A call from EMO at approximately 8:00 p.m. confirmed that we would receive this number from Continental Airlines, Flight 0067, en route from Heathrow, London, England to Cleveland, Ohio, USA.  ‘Operation Welcome’ was set in motion!
By 9:00 p.m., with the help of some 25 Sisters of Mercy from our city houses and the maintenance and security employees of Littledale Conference Center, and under the direction of Mrs. Buckingham, forty beds were prepared. Linens and towels were taken from their storage places, the floors and rooms were dusted and all was ready for the guests.
At 12:00 midnight a yellow bus pulled up with the tired and mesmerized passengers. They had no luggage and carried only the small blanket and pillow from the plane. The travelers included men and women from the USA, United Kingdom, Denmark, France, Israel. Some were fight crew from another American carrier which had transported American soldiers to England and were now returning home.
All were fatigued and almost unaware of what was happening to them or where they were. In Creedon Residence lounge the television drew the weary travelers like a magnet – they could finally find out what was so affecting their lives. Each “plane person” was registered, given a key to their room and invited for a ‘comfortable cup of tea’ or snack. We accompanied them to their rooms, answered questions, offered telephone service and listened to their stories of shock, concern, anxiety. Our hearts and our home were open to them and we wanted to help in any way that we could.
For the next few days the passengers of Continental 0067 waited patiently and anxiously for direction as to departure and return home. Everything was tentative. Midway into the next morning they were permitted to go to the nearby shopping mall to pick up some essentials. Clerks at Walmart said that there was a marvelous run on socks, underwear and razors! Hopes were high in the passengers that they would leave before night-fall.
Another night passed – they could venture a little further and longer – to Bowring Park, downtown or the mall. They were to report back by 1:00 p.m.
Another night passed –the group was beginning to settle in and not build up such high hopes. They knew that no planes were moving into the USA. Also, there was news of a tropical storm moving north. We planned a kitchen party for the evening and the group was entertained by a group of musical volunteers and cajoled into singing and dancing and the experience of a Newfoundland ‘Kitchen Party’. One small group had been treated to a fish dinner at the Captain’s Table in Witless Bay- they got both parties into their agenda! It was remarked that the group was developing friendships with people who prior to this disaster were sitting back to each other on in an airplane.  We noted how the group had moved tables together for a more intimate ’family-like’ atmosphere. They seemed to linger longer and were playing card and board games when they were not out or watching television. A second television set was set up for those who did not want to constantly watch the news channels.
Again another night passed and the Saturday weather was superb. Some of us and other volunteers took small groups on scenic tours of St. John’s, Quidi Vidi, Cape Spear and Petty Harbour, Torbay, Middle Cove and Portugal Cove. The passengers were thrilled to see some of our beautiful province and vowed to return with their families. They were most grateful and appreciative of all that was done to make them comfortable and safe.
Some specific needs were met – Hindu couple who had special dietary needs – cooked for themselves in our kitchen. Contact made with a local Hindu family who took them to their home for meals and companionship. Some Jewish people were put in touch with the Jewish Synagogue for celebration of the Shabbat. We had a prayer service in our chapel. – both our chapels were made available to the passengers and were frequently used by them..
Meals were provided by different church and social groups- some of them even came to set out and serve the meals.
On Sunday, Sept. 16 the bus came to Littledale for the passengers around 5:00 p.m. to take them to Mile One where they would once more be processed before getting on their plane. At last, those who were stranded were finally going home or to their planned destination. They are different because of this unexpected stopover! We were changed by it too. The whole world was changed by 9-11, the date that represents a big story in the history books of our civilization.